Since it is Snape's birthday and he just happened to be the one to kill Dumbledore... Well. Becca and I have been discussing this since November, but there were too many other challenges/fic exchanges going on then.
The "Bringing Back the Dead" Fiction Challenge
Harry has seen so much death in his short life: his parents, Cedric, Sirius, Dumbledore. They are not the only people who have died during the course of the Harry Potter series, either -- spanning both the Marauder era and present time, there have been many deaths: many potential character arcs flattened, many possible plotlines extinguished. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write a fic that brings back one or more character(s) who is/are dead in canon. Canon tells us that you cannot bring back a person who is truly dead, not even by magic. It's believed to be impossible to bring back dead people in the wizarding world -- this is why we're asking people to write fic for this challenge; to achieve the impossible, so to speak. Any way you can bring back a character who is currently dead in canon is absolutely fine, even corpse reanimation XD
- Genfic, het and slash are all welcome.
- You may only use canon deaths. No killing of characters who are alive as of the last chapter of HBP -- that is, you may kill them in your fic, but your fic may not focus on bringing them back.
- Any rating, any pairing, any genre, any kink, squick, whatever -- just make sure it's appropriately labelled.
- Fics should be at least 3000 words long and must be beta-read. If you do not have a beta, ask someone at hp_betas.
- The deadline is July 16, 2006
- You don't need to state any committment to participate. Just link me in comments to this post whenever your fic is posted.
- A masterlist will be published after the deadline has passed.
The LootOnce all the fics are in, we're going to ask a number of non-participating fandomers (both readers and writers) to select one fic that they feel is overall best in the spirit of this challenge. The writer of that fic will receive a choice of either a $25 LJ gift certificate or a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask -- incognito and I will be more than happy to answer.