1. Vote oulangi. She started doing reviews of Snarry fics in her LJ. Fandom asploded. I asked people if they wanted to see something similar for H/D fics on my journal, and people answered.
2. I cheerfully refer to myself as a fic bitch: I dislike 90% of what's produced by H/D writers. This is not necessarily because it sucks (though, to be honest, a lot of it does), but because I'm hella picky. Observing basic grammar, spelling and punctuation rules goes without saying (though I'm willing to overlook gaffes if it's a great story). Canon is good; I'll believe just about anything, but it needs to follow logically from canon for me to like it. I don't care about writing style as much as I care about keeping the characters in character and establishing and/or maintaining the H/D dynamic, though I'm afraid my mind is too feeble to truly appreciate the genius of intellislash.
3. These reviews are not for the authors. They're:
- a way for me to keep track of what I'm reading;
- a way for me to communicate my impressions to people who share my tastes in H/D fic.
4. If a one-shot is featured on the Prophet but not in the reviews, it means I gleaned enough from the summary and warnings to know that I would not enjoy it. I don't read stuff I know I'll hate. Things I hate include but aren't limited to mpreg, glorification of marriage/child-rearing, men acting like (or being) women, rape fantasy, foodsmut, bloodplay, spanking, scat, chan, breathplay, watersports, bestiality, felching, munging, necro, hardcore S&M, foot fetish, crossdressing, genderfuck, and Ron/Draco.
I also do not review any fics by anon authors from fests in which I'm a participant, for the sake of maintaining anonymity (I could, technically, snark out a fic of mine if it's recced while still anon, but it is much more fun to do that when my name's attached to the fic). I don't review self-recced fics, either.
5. I don't read WIPs -- because I don't know when an author will decide to quit writing and leave everyone hanging. Or worse, trot out a plot device that makes me wish I'd never wasted my time reading the story in the first place.
6. These reviews are 100% subjective, filled with spoilers, and uncensored.
7. Vote oulangi.