Meme, stolen from kethlenda
1. Do you outline?
Yes, but it depends on the fic. For longer stories, I absolutely outline, because it's easy to get lost in the details and lose sight of the big picture. For shorter pieces, I generally have one focal idea around which I'm building everything, so there's no real need for an outline as such.
2. Do you write straight through, or do you sometimes tackle the scenes out of order?
Both. Some fics materialise out of a scene, which I write and then build the rest around it; some fics materialise as actual timelines of events (and in this case, I have to sit down and quickly sketch the timeline before I forget something crucial).
3. Do you prefer writing with a pen or using a computer?
Computer. I can keep up with my thoughts faster whilst typing; plus my handwriting is so messy that I have trouble reading my own scribblings sometimes. :">
4. Do you prefer writing in first person or third?
5. Do you listen to music while you write?
I always listen to music, but generally it gets tuned out by my brain while I'm writing.
6. How do you come up with the perfect names for your characters?
In fanfic, that's not really an issue, and in original fic, I don't make a special effort to come up with names. Sometimes a name I think of will sound wrong upon re-read, so I'll change it until it fits, but it's a crapshoot rather than a concentrated effort to come up with the "perfect" name.
7. When you're writing, do you ever imagine your story as a television show or movie?
Always. I write because there is a movie playing in my head. If it's not there, I've got nothing to write.
8. Have you ever had a character insist on doing something you really didn't want him/her to do?
Yes, and I generally let him get away with it. *pets Draco*
9. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it?
Well, I'm not psychic, so clearly not. I generally prefer not to try and guess how something will end; if the story is engaging, I come along for the whole ride, not just to get to the end. As far as writing goes, uh, I haven't written any books yet (well... I've written novels, but they would need to be published before they're books XP), but with stories, yeah. I always know how I will end something.
10. Where do you write?
At home, at my computer. In the dark. XD
11. What do you do when you get writer's block?
I write. No, seriously. I just keep trying until the "..." inside my head gets broken up by a sudden burst of energy. I'm not sure how else to explain it.
12. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of wordcount, or as a percentage of the fic as a whole)?
I don't understand this question. I write as much as I can in the time that I have, basically.
13. How many different drafts did you write for your last project?
I'm on the fifth and still nowhere near happy with it. BP doesn't count here as that IS the draft. >.>
14. Have you ever changed a character's name midway through a draft?
No, not midway.
15. Do you let anyone read your story while you're working on it, or do you wait until you've completed a draft before letting someone else see it?
I tend to wait until I'm finished, but sometimes I'll C&P bits to a friend or two if I'm not sure about where I'm going.
16. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft?
17. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once?
Multiple projects, always.
18. Do your stories grow or shrink in revision?
19. Do you have any writing or critique partners?
No, not really.
20. Do you prefer drafting or revising?
And now, back to the fic of doom.